Sunday, September 27, 2009

Gruyere Cheese Gougeres

AND THE JETS WIN!!! 3-0!

But.... during halftime I made some awesome snacks - Gruyere Cheese Gougeres.

This was my mise en place for this dish:


First, I put the butter in a saucepan along with water, salt and a bit of sugar. I let the mixture come to a boil and then added the flour. Then, I stirred the mixture in the pan for about 2 minutes to get rid of the excess moisture. I put the resulting product into my stand mixer, added the eggs, blended until it was smooth in texture, and then mixed in the Gruyere and salt and white pepper to taste:



The next step was to pipe the mixture onto the Silpat:




... and then sprinkle with some more Gruyere Cheese:


Then the gougeres went into a 450 degree oven for about 7 minutes. I reduced the heat to 350 degrees and after 20 minutes, I got these:



The finished result on a plate:



**victory dance**

These gougeres were perfectly puffy, moist on the inside and deliciously salty.... They took almost no time at all to prepare... and even less time to scarf down after halftime.

Food Sources:
Cookware: A Cook's Companion, Brooklyn, NY
Cheese: Stinky Cheese, Brooklyn, NY
Other Dairy: Trader Joe's

3 comments:

  1. Ok
    I'm hungry now, and slightly jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. Are all the recipes this caloric? Just wondering...xxoo Roz

    ReplyDelete