Sunday, September 27, 2009

Parmigiano-Reggiano Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse

Are you ready for some football???

It's the end of the first half and the J-E-T-S are up 14-10 over the Titans. Good start to this Sunday.

Today, I started with the Parmigiano-Reggiano Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse... and away we go!!

This is my first food post. I've decided that I will always start these with a photo of my 'mise en place' - my prep setup for cooking. I'd love to give you all the actual recipes, but I doubt TK and the rest of the FL team would appreciate me posting them for free ;) ... Here's a photo of what I used:



First, I put the goat cheese in the food processor and creamed it until it looked like this:



Then, I added the parsley, salt and pepper and pulsed the mixture in the food processor:




I took the mouse out and put it into the refrigerator while I worked on the next step.

The next step was to make the parmigiano-reggiano crisps. I took the finely grated cheese and spooned it into a 2.5" ring mold onto my Silpat, repeated this 8 times and had this result before throwing it into the oven:



After 8 minutes, my cheese was brown and beautiful! SCORE!



Now it was time for the hard part... Forming the extremely hot cheese into something that actually looks nice.. I let them rest for about 10 seconds to get nice and firm (bow chica bow bow), and then peeled them one at a time VERY CAREFULLY off of the silpat. One at a time, I placed them into an empty egg carton and put an egg onto them to form a tulip shape. The trick here was to do this while they were still hot and formable. If I waited too long, they would have set and become extremely fragile.. In fact, I dropped one on the ground and it literally shattered. YIKES. Here's what they looked like in the egg carton:





After about 5 minutes setting in the cartons, I took the shells out and they looked like this:



A quick piping of the goat cheese mousse from my pastry bag into the crisp and you get the final product.... WOW:






These were delicious! Creamy, salty and crunchy at the same time, oh yes. I would definitely make them again.


Food Sources:
Bakeware - A Cook's Companion, Brooklyn, NY
Cheese - Stinky Cheese, Brooklyn, NY
Grocery - MET Foods, Brooklyn, NY

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen: Your writing is great, the photos explanatory, the recipes hard for novices like me. Keep it up. You will have a book when this is over...can't wait! See you next week for Finian's Rainbow! xxoo Roz and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW That's the best success on this dish I've seen in any blog posts. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete