Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Warm Fruitwood-Smoked Salmon with Potato Gnocchi and Balsamic Glaze - Part II

HELLOOOOO?? Is there anyone out there? Oh well, I guess it's just me and my food now.... but if you are reading please leave a comment... pretty please?

Today was day two of Warm Fruitwood-Smoked Salmon with Potato Gnocchi and Balsamic Glaze.

The first thing I did was put the chive oil that I made yesterday through a cheesecloth to get it nice and smooth:



Then, it was time to make my Brunoise. A Brunoise is basically just a very small dice of a mix of vegetables. This on included leeks, carrots and turnips. Each vegetable is cut into a 1/16" dice, which would have been tedious and time-consuming without the help of my trusty mandoline slicer. With it though, I have to say I really look like I know what I'm doing (I really don't):



Once the vegetables are diced, they are then blanched separately until just soft, cooled, and then mixed all together. The Brunoise looks something like this:




Next, I dealt with the rest of my prep and cut my tomatoes into diamonds, and dressed my baby arugula with lemon and olive oil:




After two days of prep it was finally time to put this bad boy together!! The salmon went into a milk bath at 115 degrees for 7 minutes:




Doesn't it look comfy?

While the salmon was getting nice and warm, I sauteed my gnocchi from yesterday in canola oil until they were just brown on the bottom:



To the gnocchi I added some homemade chicken stock, butter, and a splash of white wine vinegar. Once it had reduced, I added some of my Brunoise, the tomato diamonds and some freshly chopped chives.

Time to plate!!!



How does it look? Not bad! And it tasted even better. The milk really took out some of the saltiness of the fish and gave it a delicious, flaky texture. My first attempt at gnocchi were also a success - they were little pillows of heaven. Add into that the sweet balsamic glaze and the bitterness of the arugula - PERFECTION.

Upcoming on Thursday - Butter Poached Maine Lobster with Leeks, Pommes Maxim and Red Beet Essence.

Food Sources:
Smoked Salmon and Produce: Fresh Direct
Grocery Items: MET, Brooklyn, NY

2 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds delicious!
    Two orders to go please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! Eli and I are salivating thinking about tomorrow night's meal. Can't wait! Is there a white you would recommend we bring? We have a Pinot Blanc from St. Innocent that we've been saving.

    ReplyDelete